Established in 1891

College History

St Joseph’s Nudgee College is one of the oldest, continuing Catholic boys’ boarding schools in Queensland, being established in 1891. The present site of the College was selected by Rev. Br. Patrick Ambrose Treacy, founder of the Australian Province of the Christian Brothers after the Archbishop of Brisbane at the time, Most Rev. Robert Dunne D.D., requested that the educational facilities of a residential College be made available for Catholic boys, especially those from country districts.

The College Museum is located on the first floor of the Treacy Building. Email museum@nudgee.qld.edu.au for enquiries.

TIMELINE

  • 1889: Initial Nudgee College land purchased for 2,500 pounds
  • 1890: Construction of Treacy Building commenced
  • 1891: College opened
  • 1904: Front arches and tower added to the Treacy Building
  • 1914: Foundation stone laid for Our Lady Help of Christians Chapel
  • 1916: Chapel completed, blessed and dedicated by Archbishop of Brisbane Dr James Duhig
  • 1918: Great Public Schools’ Association of Queensland (GPS) founded
  • 1919: Duhig Building completed
  • 1922: Nudgee College Old Boys' Association formed
  • 1936: Prime Minister Joseph Lyons visited the College
  • 1941: Nudgee College's Golden Jubilee, during which Archbishop Duhig described the College as being "the jewel in the crown of the Christian Brothers' Schools in Queensland"
  • 1941: Corpus Christi procession attracts 30,000 people
  • 1954: New Boarding dormitories completed
  • 1967: Opening of new Senior Boarding dormitories (single rooms for each boy) and science classrooms attended by Prime Minister Robert Menzies
  • 1989: Refurbishment of Duhig Building completed
  • 1990: McKennariey Centre completed
  • 1991: Nudgee College Centenary
  • 1995: New Boarding residence completed to allow Year 5 to 7 boarders to live on campus
  • 1996: Nudgee Information Technology Centre (NITEC) completed
  • 1998: McKillop Building and Hendry Oval athletics track completed
  • 2008: Junior School opened in the refurbished O'Neill Building (former Boarding residence)
  • 2010: Tierney Auditorium refurbished (formerly Tierney Hall)
  • 2015: DJ Hanly Learning Centre and Bathersby Boarding Village completed, opened and blessed
  • 2016: Cleary Building refurbished to provide a hub for Art and Music